General information

Tîrgu Mureş represents the residence and implicitly the largest municipality of Mureş County, which is situated in the center of the historic Transylvania and is  bordered by  the upper course of Mureş River. The town lies in the central-northern part of Romania and the geographical delimitation is represented on the one hand by Mureş River and on the other hand by Corneşti hill. Mentioning the size of this county residence, we mention the fact that the town is on the sixteenth position within the cities ranking in Romania and  the sixth in the Transylvanian region.

Touristic sights

The town of Târgu Mureş holds a number of important sights that attest to the touristic importance of this specific area in Transylvania. The first major sight is the central part of the town, the central market, called the Rose Market. This is renowned for its roses that have enriched the beauty of the central area of the town for decades.The  buildings in baroque, neoclassical and secessionist styles, of which we mention the Church of Saint John the Baptist, the Franciscan Tower, the Palace of Culture or the former town hall, surround the central area of the town, offering a different perspective on the view. The medieval fortress offers to visitors an important part of the long history of the city that over the years had an important economic power in the Transylvanian Principality.

The Church and The medieval Fortress represent the oldest architectural buildings of the town. The fortress has a wall of seven bastions built by the city guilds. Inside the fortress there is also the reformed church, which has the characteristics of the Gothic style, which were signalled since 1492. A series of buildings can be found dating back to the 16th -18th centuries, including the Teleki Library and the Royal Table Building .

Târgu Mureş city displays numerous churches, some dating back to the 16th-18th centuries. They are meant to represent diversity and offer Christian denominations/faith specific to all Transylvanian cities and villages – Roman Catholic, Reformed, Evangelical, Unitarian, Orthodox, Greek Catholic and others – as well as the mosaic worship. The Orthodox wooden church, built in 1793 and painted in 1814, is a unique antiquity among the Transylvanian cities.

The building of the Palace of Culture in secessionist style hosts the famous Mirror Hall. The stained glasses here are meant to display different scenes from the Szekler ballads, being representative of the entire geographical area, and the concert hall hosts an organ that has been kept in the same place since the beginning of the century.

Among the variety of tourist attractions, we also mention the museums that can be visited. Their number can satisfy all the requirements and interests of the population, as follows:

  • The Museum of History and Archeology, the Art Museum, the County Library and the State Philharmonic (hosted in the Palace of Culture)
  • The Museum of Ethnography and Folk Art Târgu-Mureş
  • The Museum of Natural Sciences Târgu-Mureş
  • The Museum – Memorial House and Bolyai Farkas Library
  • The Memorial House Avram Iancu

The existing facilities, which improve the leisure opportunities are closely related to the geographic location of the town. The presence of Mures River has led to the construction of Mureş Recreation Complex (known as Weekend). Inside the complex there are several swimming pools including one for boat trips, the latter communicating directly with Mures River. There are also a number of sports grounds that provide conditions to perform sports such as tennis, football, volleyball.

Corneşti Plateau is the highest point of the city. This special area in Târgu Mureş is set at an altitude of 448 meters, thus offering a delightful view of Mureş’s superior valley. It is the place where dozens of people meet on a weekly basis for a variety of activities, including the location of the Zoological Garden (the most important attraction), specially designed children’s areas and, implicitly, for walking and physical activities. In addition, Corneşti Plateau has two gravel runways, the average distance covers a 1.2 kilometer route, while the longest route is 1.7 km and runs through the entire set area.

Moreover, the outdoor fitness equipment ensures the fitness fans a perfect addition to the physical exercise program. The fun part of children’s activities is not left aside, on the contrary, it is one of the most important and well-developed projects for the children’s delight. Several playgrounds have a variety of attractions including the classic carousel and the entire area of Corneşti Plateau can be travelled by a small train with an engine and three wagons whose design is in strict accordance with the animated character Thomas.

The Zoo, the second largest in the country in terms of variety of species, was created in 1960 and is located in a special park, within Corneşti Plateau. Built on an area of about 20 hectares, the zoo caters for over 500 animals which are part of 120 species. Among the animals that can be admired by those who cross the threshold of the garden are: bears, lions, wolves, leopards, jaguars, snakes, crocodiles and monkeys.



Search

Latest News

Book of Abstracts

Dear  Participants, Please visit the following link to access the Book of Abstract (between pages 40-63)…

Ediţia a III-a

Invitatie Comitetul de organizare face cunoscută și lansează invitația de participare la…

Desfăşurare Conferinţă

Bună seara, Secretariatul CNNS vă aduce la cunoştinţă urmotoarele informaţii: - Înscrierea…

Program CNNS – Editia II

Secretariatul CNNS vă aduce la cunoştinţă programul Conferinţei Naţionale de Nutriţie Sportivă,…